The Game Den: I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, Part 2
The Game Den returns, and branches out a bit, with I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, the horror-themed PC game based on a story by Harlan Ellison.
Part 2 begins a look at the characters Gorrister, Ellen, and Benny.
Since I've neither read the story nor played the game, this "theory" of mine is entirely based on this video, so I've no idea how accurate it can be... I was intrigued by what you said about the meaning of what the color yellow could represent in Ellen's scenario. I was wondering, since yellow is oftentimes associated to "fear", if that could be it? Ellen is obviously now claustrophobic, a form of phobia, and is clearly terrified at the idea of re-living the circumstances of her sexual assault. Many victims of sexual assault are also plagued afterwords of a keen sense of insecurity and fear so, maybe all that yellow is suppose to represent that constant "looking-over-your-shoulder" and "uncomfortable-insecurity" that Ellen might have been experiencing in her life?
The yellow could be symbolic of fear as well(someone else mentioned that too--surprised I didn't think of it myself), but the trigger is that her rapist wore yellow.
Regrettable that this is how a female character gets to be treated, but .... yeah, guess it was a different time
ReplyDeleteSince I've neither read the story nor played the game, this "theory" of mine is entirely based on this video, so I've no idea how accurate it can be... I was intrigued by what you said about the meaning of what the color yellow could represent in Ellen's scenario. I was wondering, since yellow is oftentimes associated to "fear", if that could be it? Ellen is obviously now claustrophobic, a form of phobia, and is clearly terrified at the idea of re-living the circumstances of her sexual assault. Many victims of sexual assault are also plagued afterwords of a keen sense of insecurity and fear so, maybe all that yellow is suppose to represent that constant "looking-over-your-shoulder" and "uncomfortable-insecurity" that Ellen might have been experiencing in her life?
ReplyDeleteThe yellow could be symbolic of fear as well(someone else mentioned that too--surprised I didn't think of it myself), but the trigger is that her rapist wore yellow.
Delete